I make flavored salt for special events and and gift baskets. I like to make it, including exotic herbs like lavender and curry. This is a great last-minute gift, you just need any red wine and some coarse salt and you can create something that is unique and filled with flavor. I like to give in 4-ounce mason jars as the size is perfect to set on the counter next to the stove and sparkle on completed dishes just before serving.
Red wine infused sea salt
- 3 cups red wine
- 1 ½ cups sea salt (coarse rock salt)
In a saucepan over medium to high heat, bring the wine to a boil. Reduce the temperature and simmer until the liquid reduces to 1-2 tablespoons and is thicker and a little syrup like.
For every tablespoon of reduced wine, add 1 to 1 ½ cups sea salt. Add 1 cup first and stir and if the liquid hasn’t absorbed as well as you would like add more salt. Stir until completely covered. Lay out on a tray overnight to dry. Store in airtight jars. Give as gifts.
Include these instructions with your gift:
- Sprinkle this wine-infused salt as a seasoning anytime you'd use salt
- Use as a finishing salt on any dish – including raw sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle a tiny amount on chocolate baked goods.
- Add home-made salad dressing.
- Rub on meat or fish before searing.
- Add to spice blends to give acidity and flavor.
- Add to entrée-style salads.